Craftsmanship in a Garage

Craftsmanship in a Garage

Monday, November 22, 2010

Box Joint Jig


Box Joint Jig Set Up On Table Saw

I recently built this box joint jig so that I can build small boxes. Box making is an interesting craft because a lot of creativity can be done with different size boxes and woods. Also, it doesn't take a lot of material to build them. I think it is a unique woodworking activity.

The joint is nothing more than small interlocking pins and slots that join the corners of the box for strength and has an interesting look. I have always enjoyed exposed joinery in woodworking. The trick is to match the pins and slots for a perfect fit. Close doesn't count on this one. A unique feature of this jig is that it has a micro adjustment that allows for a perfect fit.

Chisel Box With Box Joints

The jig is used with a table saw and dado head blade set. A router table set up would work too, but I prefer using the table saw. Once the joints are made it is simply a matter of gluing up the box. The joints can be made for any size box. My first box built with the jig was a walnut storage box for my chisels.

Plans and Materials for Project 


The material for the jig was made from 4/4 maple. The hardware kit and plans were ordered from Woodsmith Magazine. I began the project by planning, ripping and crosscutting the parts to size.

Once the parts were cut to size and shaped the next step was assembly and installing the adjustable key mechanism and lock.



Parts Ready for Assembly
Assembling the Key to Adjustable Block

Homemade Guide Rail 
The plans have you use your table saw miter gauge to guide the jig, but if the miter gauge needs to be used for other cutting operations it means changing back and forth. That is a pain to me. A second miter gauge would be expensive, so I fabricated my own.

Box Joint With Perfectly Fitted Pins and Slots
Box Side With Jig Aligned With Key and Dado Blade Set










The rail fits into saw table slot to keep the jig and work piece square to the dado blade set. After the slot is cut it is fitted over the key to keep the pins and slots equally spaced for a perfect fit.

I'm happy the way the jig turned out and it works better than I expected. I look forward to building many unique boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment