Craftsmanship in a Garage

Craftsmanship in a Garage

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Walnut Wall Clock 1978

This reproduction walnut wall clock goes way back.  In June of 1978 while I was a student at Fresno State working on my Industrial Arts degree, I took a wood machining class during the summer session.  The class was pretty laid back and only required a project of sufficient difficulty, a drawn plan, and a required number of machining competencies to build it.

I was lucky to find a clock brochure at a shop in Fresno that sold high end clocks of all sorts.  Give me a picture with basic dimensions to keep the proportions correct and I can build it.

This was my first experience working with walnut.  Walnut is a joy to work with... it has it's own natural color and grain pattern.  It machines nicely.  It's expensive, but worth the cost. 

The little buster in the photo is my son, Thad.  He was four at the time and always curious about what I was up to.  He is now 36, living in San Francisco and works for Wells Fargo Trade Bank. He is in a wonderful relationship with Amy and her little Yorkie, Capone.   

No comments:

Post a Comment