Craftsmanship in a Garage

Craftsmanship in a Garage

Sunday, January 2, 2011

SJFWA Christmas Toy Project

 The San Joaquin Fine Woodworkers Association does an ambitious toy making project every year for disadvantaged families. The project begins in the spring and over 3,000 toys are built. From what I hear, it still doesn't  fill the need. Materials and money are donated from service clubs, businesses, and individuals. In addition, fund raisers are done during the year to help raise money. The toys were delivered to various social service agencies and churches for distribution to needy families. It's a huge effort, but very rewarding because it provides youngsters with well made Christmas toys who may not have them.

I was invited to help with the project last September and I volunteered 3 to 6 hours a week. I worked primarily on the doll cradle. I cut, shaped, and assembled so many, that I dream about building them in my sleep. The cradle comes complete with a small quilt done by a local quilters group and a doll.

I really enjoyed working on the project and enjoyed meeting fellow woodworkers who joined together and used their woodworking skills for something that benefits the community.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment