Craftsmanship in a Garage

Craftsmanship in a Garage

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Oak School House Clock



















This is an oak school house clock that I finished this winter.  Actually, I started the clock about four years ago and it's been sitting on my bench collecting dust.  The wood material is red oak. I enjoy working with this material because it is a domestic hardwood that machines well and finishes nicely.  The clock parts and plans were ordered on the internet.  The finish is a Watco Danish Oil stain and a couple of coats of tung oil.

The only challenge I had was making the octagon clock face.  I've never put together an octagon frame before so this was a learning experience.  The eight pieces needed to be cut the same exact length with ends cut to precisely 22 1/2 degrees.  I joined the ends with biscuit joints and glue.  In order to clamp it together I bought a Bessey band clamp that worked great and will be useful for future projects.

All in all I felt the clock turned out great and I look forward to building other clocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment