Craftsmanship in a Garage

Craftsmanship in a Garage

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Restored Stanley No. 4 Smooth Plane

This hand plane belonged to my father and when he passed away in 1990 I inherited it.  I can remember this tool sitting on my father's workbench 50 years ago.  I thought it would be a great idea to strip it down and restore it.  It's a Stanley No. 4 Smooth Plane from about the mid thirties based on the patent number and trademarks.  The plane iron was horribly dull so a lot of time was spent sharpening.  There were no cracks or pitting in the casting and the black lacquer japanning is in great shape.  Some elbow grease, steel wool and paste wax easily cleaned up metal surfaces leaving a nice patina.  The rosewood handles have no defects and with a little furniture finish restorer look brand new.  I've used the plane since the restoration and it works great.  People may say I'm nuts, but there is nothing like the feel of a hand plane and creating a thin feathery curled shaving.  It's all about  the Zen of woodworking.

1 comment:

  1. Good job George, I inherited some of my Grandfathers tools and my mom's sculpting tools as well . I value them and use them.

    ReplyDelete