Craftsmanship in a Garage

Craftsmanship in a Garage

Friday, January 20, 2012

Jigs and Fixtures

Jigs and Fixtures are work-holding or support devices that I often use in woodworking.  
In some cases they are used to safely guide a tool or workpiece to a correct position. They can be used to enable multiple parts to be made to the same specification. Basically, they are used to maintain quality and maximize efficiency.


Click the photos to enlarge.
Workpiece Set Up in Dado Jig with Center Board
The dado joint jig is designed to guide the plunge router to cut perfectly straight dado and groove joints in the correct location. The work piece is set up in the frame with the center board used to align the center of the joint. Care is taken to securely clamp the jig and workpiece for safety and accuracy.

Plunge Router Set Up in Dado Jig

The plunge router is placed between the rails at the end of the joint, then lowered to the preset depth of a quarter inch and pulled to the opposite end.

Completed Dado Joint
Perfectly straight and uniform dado joints are cut to receive the adjoining pieces for strength and alignment.

Table Saw Crosscut Sled
I recently modified my crosscut sled to make it a little more efficient to improve accuracy. The sled makes crosscutting large pieces on the table saw much easier and safer. I extended the rear rail to add more support when cutting long pieces.


Tenon Jig
I like to use mortise and tenon joinery on some my woodworking projects. This jig makes cutting the tenon much easier and accurate. The box is attached to the miter jig that is square to the blade. Multiple passes are made with the final pass made with the end resting against the adjustable stop block.

Belt Sander Fixture
Sanding Curves with Belt Sander
This fixture is one of my favorites. Sanding convex curves evenly has been a challenge. I looked into purchasing a belt/disc sander and they range from 120 to 200 dollars. I have a portable belt sander and with a few pieces of scrap lumber I fashioned a stationary sanding machine that meets my needs. Money saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment